Windows smartscreen is an cloud based built in utility in Windows which provides protection against Phishing pages, harmful files and malware. It has been integrated in most of the Microsoft products like Outlook, Internet explorer, Microsoft Edge, Windows 8 and Windows 10.
It is not recommended to disable Windows smartscreen as it provides strong cloud based protection against phishing, file and app downloads. In terms of CPU and memory usage also smartscreen filter won’t consume much of the memory. Even then, if you want to disable Windows defender smartscreen follow the below steps.
Steps to disable Windows defender smartscreen in Windows 10:
- Click on Start button in your computer.
- Type Windows defender in the search box, then you will get the Windows defender option to open.
- Press enter or click on the icon to open the Windows security center to access Windows defender options.
- Then click on open Windows security option.
- Select App & Browser control menu from left pane. Now in your right pane, option to disable smartscreen filter for apps and files, Microsoft Edge and Microsoft store apps will be shown.
- Select off radio button under check apps and files section to disable smartscreen filter for unrecognized apps and files from the web.
- Select off radio button under Smartscreen for Microsoft Edge section to disable smartscreen filter for malicious sites and downloads.
- Select off radio button under Smartscreen for Microsoft store apps section to disable smartscreen filter for web content that Microsoft store apps use.
Steps to disable Windows defender smartscreen in Windows 8:
Windows defender smartscreen option is placed in Control panel on Windows 8.
- Open Control panel from Windows menu.
- Select System and security.
- Click on Action center.
- Expand Security section and navigate to Windows smartscreen in the list.
Then Click on change settings.
- Windows will prompt three options to select “What do you want to do with unrecognized apps?”.
- Option 1 : Get administrator approval before running an unrecognized app from the internet.
- Option 2 : Warn before running the unrecognized app.(It does not require any admin approval).
- Option 3 : Turn off Windows defender.
- Select the appropriate option for Windows smartscreen.
As we told, Windows smartscreen helps to protect against malware,virus,internet threats,phishing sites and app downloads. Hence it is not recommended to disable Windows defender smartscreen. If you still wanna disable smartscreen filter, above steps would have definitely catered your requirement.